Footsteps


I was literally running to keep pace with Dada. Dada was how I addressed my grandfather. This was the most precious part of my day. I had Dada all for myself this time of the day. It was a daily ritual for him to go out for a morning walk at the break of dawn with me clutching his dhoti tight and trying to keep pace with him.

“Why are you so slow Nandu?”, he asked out loud. Slow? This was the fastest I could walk. I was sure that if I participated in the Walking race at school and could maintain this speed, no one could even come close to me! “Dada, I am literally running! Can’t move faster”, I blurted out, completely short of breath. “Alright, let’s take a ten minute break then”, he said smilingly. As I sat down on the park bench with him, I could not help but admire him, my idol. He was close to seventy five, but had the energy and vigour that would put young lads to shame. All of ten years, I was completely in awe of his personality. His towering physique, the respect he got from people, his command over the English language (which was a rarity then), his penchant for leading a meaningful life, all this made him stand out in the crowd.

“What do you want to do when you grow up?”, Dada asked. I could see the twinkle in his eyes. This was a staple question for me each day. And like all confused kids, I had a different answer for him everyday. But he was not aware that today I was ready for this question and had thought of the answer beforehand. “Follow your footsteps”, I replied with complete conviction. Dada was taken aback. He was not prepared for this answer. But I could see the pride swell up in his eyes. “Do you really mean it?” he wanted me to clarify. “Yes Dada.”, I replied nodding my head. He smiled back at me and hugged me tight across his broad chest. 

I could see his eyes moisten up even as he got up and spoke out in his deep voice, “Let’s finish our walk for the day.” I smiled back, clutched his dhoti and began following his footsteps.


This story is part 6 of my series of short-stories for Day 6 (Alphabet F) of the #BlogchatterA2Z challenge 2018

Comments

  1. Interesting. Loved going through the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Durga Prasad for reading and liking it

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very touchy post. Loved it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so sweet. 'Follow your footsteps' was such an endearing and heart-felt reply from the young boy. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Footsteps is such a simple story but with lot of messages. Just enjoy reading all the blogs Nandu and eagerly wait for the next

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply told with a deep meaning....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely written story. The title is so aptly chosen. This is the kind of experience what we all go through in our childhood. And we have our grand parents taking care of us and we always love to be with them and here their wise talk. Summer holidays are where we get the most out our grandparents. The way you crafted the question and the way you have answered was perfectly designed with "footsteps"...took the story to next level.

    #MyFriendAlexa, #MakeupReads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessed are those who have their grandparents to guide and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet! Also, I love the title of your blog. It's very interesing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lunchbox

Life's Lesson

Goal!