Birthday Present

Suman was very excited since morning. It was her tenth birthday and there was a grand party arranged by her parents that evening. They had moved to Delhi from Mumbai recently and she was looking forward to celebrating her birthday that evening with her new friends from school and her housing society.

"Mummy, we are getting late. We have to go to the market to buy my birthday dress. What is taking you so long?" Suman called out to her mother anxiously. Sakshi was at the kitchen preparing lunch and replied back to her daughter, "Suman, don't worry. We have enough time with us. All arrangements for the evening party are complete and the only thing pending is your dress. I am just waiting for your Papa to send over the car after he reaches office. We can then leave for the market to get your dress. So, don't be impatient and just inform me when Ramdin uncle comes back."

Ramdin was their driver. He had been working for them for last eight months since they had moved to Delhi. Suman liked him very much. Ramdin had a daughter Ranjana, who was couple of years elder to Suman. Suman had never met her but had often heard Ramdin talk about her fondly. She wanted to meet Ranjana but had not got a chance to meet her yet. Suman's thoughts were broken by the ringing of the doorbell. She ran across to open the door to find Ramdin standing at the entrance gate. "Suman bitiya, can you tell Madamji that I have reached and will be waiting downstairs?" he said. Suman nodded and asked, "Ramdin uncle, you know na that today is my birthday?" Ramdin looked at her affectionately and replied, "Yes bitiya, Manoj sahib told me in the morning while going to office. He told me to take you and Madamji to the market after I had dropped him at the office. That is why I am here bitiya. But do you know that today is my daughter Ranjana's birthday too?" Suman was surprised to hear that and excitedly said, "Wow! What a coincidence. I share my birthday with Ranjana. Wait, I will call mummy and we will send a nice birthday present for her." She hurriedly ran towards the kitchen calling out for her mother. Sakshi had just finished preparing lunch and was coming towards the living room only to see who had come. On finding Suman running towards her she asked her what was the matter. Suman took a deep breath and replied excitedly,  "Mummy, it's Ranjana's birthday too today. Can we buy her a nice present of her choice?" Sakshi looked towards her darling daughter and nodded in approval. Taking Suman's hand she said, "Let's go and ask Ramdin uncle what would she like to have."

They reached the main door and Sakshi asked Ramdin to come inside. "Ramdin, Sakshi just told me that it's Ranjana's birthday too today. So, we would like to wish her and buy her a present of her choice. Please call up Ranjana and let me speak to her." Ramdin was hesitant but Sakshi insisted on calling her up. Seeing no other alternative, Ramdin gave in and called up Ranjana from his mobile. After couple of rings, he could hear Ranjana's voice at the other end. "Ranjana bitiya, it's papa here. I am calling from Madamji's house. She wants to speak to you. Just hold on" saying that he handed over the mobile to Sakshi. She took the phone from Ramdin and started speaking to Ranjana. "Hi Ranjana. We came to know from Ramdin that it's your birthday today. So, wish you A very Happy Birthday beta. You know, it's my daughter Suman's birthday too today. We would like to send you some birthday present of your choice. Please don't refuse as it is Suman's wish. So, tell me, what would you like to have?" 

Ranjana was surprised with this sudden development. She had never expected to get a call from Madamji wishing her on her birthday and asking what she would like to have as her birthday present. She took a couple of minutes to think before replying back to Sakshi. "Aunty, thanks a lot for your wishes. Your wishes alone are enough for me. But if Suman wants to give me a present, I won't refuse as it's her birthday today. But before I tell you what I would like to have, would you promise to give me what I ask for? " she asked Sakshi.  "Of course Ranjana. Please tell me what do you want. Wait, I will put you on speaker so that even Suman can hear what present you want to have for your birthday" saying that she switched on the speaker phone. Now everyone could hear what she wanted as her present. Ranjana's voice crackled over the speaker phone, "Can I request you to give me my papa's time as my birthday present? I want to spend time with my father on my birthday. Can you please relieve him early so that he can come home and we can spend some time together?

Sakshi couldn't believe what she heard. Her heart went out to Ranjana. She took a couple of minutes to reply back. "Sure beta. Your father will reach home early today. Enjoy your special day with him. God bless you" saying that she disconnected the phone. She looked up towards Ramdin, who was now teary-eyed with emotions and said, "Ramdin, please give me the car keys, take the rest of the day off and spend it with your daughter. Your presence at home on her birthday will be her biggest present. We will manage without you for today." Ramdin thanked her profusely, handed over the car keys and left for his home. Once Ramdin had left Sakshi looked lovingly towards Suman and said,  "You happy now sweetheart?" Suman hugged her mother tight and replied with joy, "Yes mummy. This has been my best birthday present too. Love you"




________________________________________________________________________________


I am taking my Alexa ranking to the next level with #MyFriendAlexa supported by @Blogchatter. You will find my other posts for this campaign under the labels #MyFriendAlexa and #sashroywrites. Please do read, comment and share

Comments

  1. What a sweet birthday present and loved the way the story flows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story. Loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a sweet story.. thanks for sharing with us ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we don't realize that kids need their parent's time as their biggest of times and not big expensive presents. Very beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lunchbox

Life's Lesson

Goal!