Dream Girl


‘Dream Girl’ – I was only 10 when this movie was released and the audience lapped it up like crazy. The movie went on to become one of the biggest grosser of its time. I distinctly remember the mass hysteria this movie generated and how its tickets were sold in black for weeks together. Baba was totally against purchasing tickets in black and it was a good three weeks after its release that he was able to get tickets for the entire family! Going out for movies was the most awaited family event during those times as that was one of the main sources of entertainment for most families and it was the same for us. I distinctly remember all 15 of us walking down to the neighbourhood cinema hall just 10 minutes away from our house and occupying an entire row in the Balcony area of the theater to watch the movie. We thoroughly enjoyed the movie whose main story-line revolved around its lead heroine playing five different characters with the intention of stealing money so that she could maintain a home for orphans. That day, the word ‘Dream Girl’ stuck somewhere in my subconscious mind even as we exited the theater amidst thunderous applause from the audience when the movie ended. 

At night, after finishing our dinner, I accompanied Dada (that's what I called my grandfather) for our customary post dinner walk. "So Nandu, how did you like the movie today? Dada asked while walking. "I enjoyed it Dada. It was funny and there were many comical scenes, which I loved." I replied back. "But there is one thing I did not understand." I said looking towards Dada. "What did you not understand Nandu?" he asked in an earnest tone. "Dada,  the heroine in the movie takes to crime to earn money. Still she is portrayed as righteous and is called as the Dream Girl. Why would you want to show someone who is a thief, a criminal as desirable?" Is that not sending a wrong signal to the audience? Dada looked pleasantly surprised at my words which to him seemed way beyond my age! He looked smilingly at me, patted my head and replied "That's a very pertinent question Nandu and I never thought that you would be thinking on these lines at your age. But I will try to answer your question in the best possible way." Saying that he made me sit down on the bench in the park where we were taking our walk. 

"In the movie, why do you think the heroine had taken to crime?" he asked me. "She stole money to help maintain a home for the orphans." I replied. "Exactly. So you see, she was not stealing for her own self, she was stealing to take care of the orphans who had no one to look after them. And she was stealing from the rich. In her mind she thought that she was doing a noble deed." I was still not convinced. "But can we take to crime even if our intentions are good?" I asked him. "That's a very hypothetical question Nandu. My direct answer to your question would be 'No'. But remember, life is never black or white. It will always present you with shades of grey. Remember the story of Robin Hood? He was declared an outlaw because what he was doing was against the law, but his conscience was clear, because he was doing it to help the poor who were oppressed by the rich. Look at history and you will find numerous such examples where people defied the law of the land or the established social norms. Raja Ram Mohan Roy's protests against Sati system, our freedom fighters' crusades against the British rule, Nelson Mandela's fight against apartheid, to name a few. They had all committed 'crime', if one can term it so, because what they did was against the laid down laws of the land at that point in time. So, in the eyes of law they were criminals, but we know they were not." explained Dada. I was beginning to understand his point of view. "Coming back to this movie, yes she commits a crime by stealing and she also repents her act later. But the hero realises that her intentions were never wrong and therefore, for him, she still remains his Dream Girl concluded Dada with a smile. 





Dada had explained it so beautifully. I couldn't help but admire him. As we got up and started for our way back home, I looked at Dada mischievously and asked "Dada, who is your Dream Girl?" He looked at me with a smile on his face and replied "The same girl whom I had married and brought home thirty years back and who is now waiting for me at home. Walk fast Nandu, I need to get home to my Dream Girl!" With a smile on my face, I held his hands firmly and said, "Let's go Dada."



Comments

  1. Thoroughly enjoying your stories. Eagerly waiting for your next story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and liking it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice explanation, love it when adults don't look down on questions of children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lunchbox

Life's Lesson

Goal!