Goal!

Ravi looked very worried and anxious. As I watched him pace up and down the neighbourhood park, I couldn't help but ask "What's wrong Ravi? Why do you look so worried?" He looked up at me and replied "Nandu, you know na that the Neighbourhood Under 14 Football tournament is starting next week?" I shook my head to confirm I knew  it. Ravi continued, "We have a major issue. Govind and Irfan will not be playing for us this year." I froze for a couple of minutes on hearing this. The annual Under 14 Neighbourhood Football tournament was the most important event in the society calendar. Each year it was organised in the month of December during the school winter break. Around 16 teams from different societies in our neighbourhood participated in it. Slowly, it had gained in popularity and winning the tournament had become a matter of prestige for the participating societies. Our Society team had also been trying to win the tournament for last couple of years and we had reached the finals also for the last two years but failed to win the tournament each time.

But this year, the story was different. Our team had been practicing very hard and we were sure that we could lift the Cup this time. However, this sudden development had left everyone puzzled. Govind and Irfan were two of our best players. I couldn't think how we could even reach the finals without them. I was jolted from my thoughts by Ravi's voice. "We don't even have time to find suitable replacements. We do have players in the reserve bench but none to replace these two." I could now understand the reason Ravi was so worked up. "We can still have Shankara step in for Govind as full-back but who will take Irfan's position as center-forward?" Ravi was almost in tears by now." "Rajan" a voice replied from behind us. Both of us turned around to see who it was and saw Mr. Tandon, our Society RWA President standing there. "Tandon Uncle, Rajan will not be a right choice. He is not a good footballer and we cannot risk having him in our team" Ravi said out a bit loudly. Mr. Tandon smiled and said, "Listen boys, we do not have much time left for the tournament and the Society Sports Committee has discussed, deliberated and decided in yesterday's monthly meeting that Rajan will be part of the playing eleven this year." His voice was very authoritative and commanding. I couldn't help but ask him "Tandon Uncle, is it because his father's company is the main sponsor for the festivals and other event celebrations in the Society?" Mr. Tandon looked at me and replied in a sarcastic tone "You may think whatever you want to. This is a unanimous decision by the Society Sports Committee and we are not going to change that. It's the committee that sponsors the expenses of the Society football team and it's decision will be final. Moreover; Mr. Mehta, Rajan's father has even gone to the extent of committing that Rajan will definitely score at least one goal in each match, else he doubles the sponsorship amount for this year's Society festivals and event celebrations. Its a win-win situation for the Society." Ravi was visibly very upset. "But, I am the captain of the team and I decide who would be in the team or not." he blurted out in anger. Mr. Tandon looked at him and said " No you don't. It's the Society Sports Committee that decides and we have decided. Rajan will play in the final eleven. But yes, as the captain, you can decide his position in the field. So let's not argue about it and get on with the preparations for the tournament. Rajan will join you guys from tomorrow." I could understand what Ravi was going through but I knew we could do nothing about it as the RWA had voted in Rajan's favour and it could not be reversed. I consoled Ravi and said "There are times when we have to let fate decide the course of things. You continue with your practice for the tournament and let's hope for the best. You just make a small change. Instead of having Rajan play as center-forward, push him back as a defender, maybe as wing-back. Have Shekhar take the center-forward position." Ravi said, "That's a good suggestion. Let's try that out for the first game and change our strategy if required as the tournament progresses." 

The next week went in hectic practice for the tournament. Surprisingly, Rajan practiced with zeal and Ravi was quite happy with his skill and dedication. We were now feeling that we were ready for the tournament. The tournament followed a knockout format, meaning the team which lost its match was knocked out. So each game was important and the first game was the most important as that would set the tempo for the remainder of the tournament. We were all very excited as the tournament started and it was time for our first match. As I sat down in the spectator zone to watch our team take up the opponents, I had a funny feeling that we were about to witness something unthinkable. I do not know why, but this feeling had been bothering me for quite some time now. I, however, brushed away the thought and excitedly sat down to watch the match. The match in itself was very exciting and both teams were playing exceedingly well but till half-time none of the teams had been able to score. As our team sat down to catch their breath during the interval, I ran upto Ravi and whispered in his ears "Ravi, keep a watch on Rajan. I don't know if I am right but his behaviour has been quite odd till now" Ravi smiled back and said "No yaar! I think he is doing pretty well. In fact, better than I thought he would." I was not convinced and told Ravi "He appears to be getting more fidgety as the game is progressing. I can't say why, but I sense something is not right." Ravi started laughing and replied back "Nandu, you think too much. Just go back and enjoy the game. We will meet after we have won this match for the Society." The interval was almost over and I trudged back to my seat. The match resumed and both teams kept on attacking each other's goal-post with zeal but neither could score. With just 5 minutes left for the final whistle, our team carried out a brilliant rally and Shekhar scored an excellent goal with a wonderful header off a pass from Ravi. We were now leading 1-0 and with just a few minutes left for the match to end, it seemed we were on course to win our first match in the tournament. 

Then, the unthinkable happened, for which none of us were prepared. With just a minute remaining for the final whistle, Zakir, our goalie lobbed the ball to Rajan. I could see that our team was now just wanting to keep the ball to itself, not letting the opponents get hold of the it. Zakir motioned to Rajan to lob the ball back to him just to kill time, even as we all waited for the final whistle to blow. All of a sudden, Rajan turned, started running with the ball towards Zakir and before he could realise what was happening, he netted the ball past a diving Zakir. Goal! Rajan had scored a Self-Goal!  I couldn't believe what I just saw. But then I remembered what Mr.  Tandon had said about Rajan's father committing that Rajan would score at least one goal in each match. He had fulfilled his father's commitment even if it was by scoring a self-goal!  I chuckled to myself. Somehow, I was finding this situation funny. And to top it all, it was my suggestion to have Rajan play as a defender, which meant he was closer to our goal post and stood a better chance of doing what he had just done! What an unexpected turn of events. It was something I would remember for the rest of my life. The match, with the score tied at 1-1, went into a penalty shoot-out, which we lost and thereby got kicked out of the tournament. 

Needless to say, the Society Sports Committee had to face the brickbat for this defeat. It was however later confirmed that poor Rajan had done this on the behest of his father who didn't want to pay double the sponsorship money to the Society as per his commitment. Why he had made such a commitment just to have his son in the team is still a mystery to me. Mr. Mehta had to tender a public apology to all the members of the Society during the Annual General Body Meeting and Tandon uncle had to resign from his post. Rajan was re-instated into the team by Ravi who had genuinely liked his game. Things had settled down and we got busy in preparing for the next year's tournament. How we went on to win the next year's tournament is another story which I will narrate to you at leisure at a later date. Till then, it's Natkhat Nandu signing off. Ciao.


Comments

  1. Beautiful story. After my F for football, it is a coincidence that I read your G for goal. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goals are awesome. Unthinkable goals are welcome & can make a team win at the very last second! :)
    Gopalpur-on-Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita for liking the story. Loved your article on Gopalpur - especially the pics

      Delete
  3. Interesting story. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the turn of events. This is what our politicians are busy doing - self goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for liking it Ravish. Couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't understand why tandon resigned?��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lunchbox

Life's Lesson