The Trade-Off

I sat still with moist eyes, looking around me with furtive glances
Watching my friends discuss their results with their parents

I had topped my class
But did not have my progress report to show

Victim of a system that blackmailed you
Reminding that money ran the show

My fees unpaid, my progress report put on hold
I sat there helpless, waiting for Mom to help out, once again


Suddenly, She came in beaming
Holding my Report card with her, waving at me teary-eyed

Looking around with pride and joy
I knew, another piece of her jewellery was pawned; One more trade-off

She hugged me amidst loud claps from my class
I sat still with moist eyes...

Comments

  1. Beautifully written ...There is substitute of everything but Parents & their love is unconditional and irreplaceable ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much poignant one evoking mixed feelings of joy and sorrow! Beautiful!
    Debasish Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too good. I was holding my tears while reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sashwata, too good. You have poured your heart in the poem. It's so poised and soothing. Bang on dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very sensitive and heart touching poem with beautiful imagery from poet's own memory of childhood that he has treasured.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lunchbox

Life's Lesson

Goal!